101 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
ABOUT HEALTH AND WEALTH
LIVING IN PEACE
I have been privileged to sit under many great speakers and teachers in my life. In my younger years of being involved with learning about ministry, I learned about God and His Word and now in my later years I am being given the opportunity to learn more about how to apply His Word in ministering to others. There are deep mysteries and difficult questions that we will never understand while we live in this realm. But, there are also many practical lessons that God can reveal to us by giving His divine peace that is woven together with His infinite wisdom. I know a special lady that has enjoyed a fulfilling life of adventure and has been used as a blessing to many, however, mixed within her life of success and respect there is also a great deal of tragedy and disappointment. It is not that this is rare or unusual, but rather it is the way she has learned to deal with this journey and how to take each day as an opportunity to do something good. She has spent much of her life helping to comfort and counsel people in crisis along with dedicating her life to bringing comfort and stability to those who are hurting she has transformed her mind and has genuinely become more like Christ.
She is known for a simple phrase; “life shows up” and in this seemingly elementary wisdom is actually a profound message to all of us. There will be times when all of us will be shocked, surprised and caught off guard. These times of crisis can hit us so hard that we can be literally “knocked out” and paralyzed with fear and confusion. When things are going well, we seem to float along and enjoy the ride and we can relate to this as a part of normal life. However, if we have never invested the time to make sure that our faith level is high and our psychological first aid toolbox is loaded, we can expect a fierce battle with our emotions which attack our ability to think and act clearly. Of course we who are Christians realize there is no substitute for prayer, but just saying a prayer is not always an automatic fix for the person in need or all the ones that are being affected from the crisis. In times of tragedy there are things we can do that are good and things we can do that are not good which include doing nothing. We have heard that, “it is not what happens – it’s how we react to what happens” and in the light of how sometimes “life shows up” I can agree. May the Lord continue to give you His strength and endurance as you continue to stand in the gap for those that are on your prayer list. The ones who are walking through a dark valley realize how much you care about them and they are comforted with your love. If you are the one that is going through a difficult crisis, I pray that you will continue to feel God’s presence and be surrounded by His peace that passes all understanding. He knows your heart, He has heard your prayers and He is working on your behalf. Be encouraged, and believe that He is trying to reveal His will to you so that you can have comfort and confidence. “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble”. (Psalm 46:1)
19. Why do we need to learn about health and wealth, what does it matter? There have always been two kinds of people; the haves and the have not’s. When it comes to health there are those that are well and those who are not well. The same is true when it comes to finances there are those who live in poverty and those who do not. And there are situations where someone can be poor and healthy or rich and sick. The reason why we need to know God’s truth is because it allows us to live in the peace of God’s will. The ones who are in good health usually are not concerned about sickness and the ones who are sick do everything they can to get well. When we are feeling great we are so far removed from the negative feelings of suffering that many times we fail to appreciate our blessings. On the other hand when we are suffering a crisis we can hardly think of anything else. In fact, few topics catch our attention more than health and wealth. Much of our time and money is invested pursuing how to maintain our health and wealth. For something we seem to not be concerned with, it is amazing how serious we become when we are in pain or behind in our bills. The cost of treating the sick is a trillion dollar industry and the cost of staying well is staggering also. Of course we appreciate the medical technology and the advancing skills of science however we also know there are many things they CANNOT do because of so many incurable diseases and circumstances. We do not worry when we cut our finger but cry out in desperation when we are told we have cancer. Why? Because we know that unless we get a miracle, we will not be around long. I have been in hospital rooms and nursing homes where the smell of death was in the air. I have seen fear and desperation from those who did not know where to turn. Yes, I would say it is very important to be interested in this subject.
20. Even if I believed He could, how do I know that God wants to help ME? When we talk about healing, we usually think physical restoration, but God’s power to heal is for the entire being so that we might be a whole person. One of the first things we need to settle in our mind is that God desires for ALL us to be well as He declares in His Word that healing is not limited to our body. If we cannot comprehend that Jesus has come to touch us and heal us just like He did in the Bible, then we must be listening and trusting someone else. The question is; exactly who is telling us that God does not want to heal us? “And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly, and I pray God your whole SPIRIT and SOUL and BODY be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (I Thessalonians 5:23) Mentioning the spirit “first” was not a random coincidence because we must have the new birth transformation to enter into the blood covenant that opens the door to our spiritual intimacy and love relationship with Christ. If we do not believe the blood of Jesus is the authority for us to live in total salvation then it will limit our faith to believe in prayer. The absorption of God’s Word into our heart is the key to experiencing the truth that changes our life. If we do not believe God wants to help us or give us miracles then we have closed and locked our own door to His power. Many will not hesitate to say that God desires to save peoples souls, but they are not convinced he wants to heal the body or increase their wealth. This is because they are listening to voices but as we said before, where are these voices coming from? Here are 10 common messages that are discussed and thought about when it comes to us receiving from heaven. It is up to us to discern if these statements are true or false.
1. God does not care about the physical body because it is decaying and corruptible.
2. The Lord is using sickness and poverty as discipline to teach us a lesson.
3. Jesus has decided that it is NOT necessary to do miracles anymore.
4. He only helps certain ones.
5. Prayers for healing and prosperity only work when it is God’s will. (His will is His Word)
6. It is God’s perfect plan (specific blueprint) for people to be sick and poor.
7. People suffer because they do not have enough faith.
8. People suffer because they do not have knowledge of God’s Word about covenant.
9. The devil rules the world and has the authority to make people sick and poor.
10. The curse of the fall is more powerful than the blood of Jesus.
As we think about these suggestions and possibilities, let us close with a few scriptures that may give us more insight in our pursuit of truth. No one can really convince another person that God desires to give His children abundant life. When someone gives us a gift it is up to us to unwrap it and receive it. How can we seek out our own salvation with fear and trembling unless we study the world AND the Word of God in order to find what is true and what is a lie?
“Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, of a truth I perceive that God is NO respecter of persons: but in every nation he that fears Him, and works righteousness, is accepted with Him” (Acts 10:34-35).
“How that God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and HEALING ALL that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with Him” (Acts 10:38). Healing is “good” and for all who believe.
“And behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together [crippled] and could in no wise lift [straighten] up herself. And when Jesus saw her, He called her to Him, and said unto her, woman, thou art LOOSED from thine infirmity. And He laid His hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God” (Luke 13:11-13). Is He the same today as He has always been?
“And as Jesus passed by, He saw a man which was blind from His birth. And His disciples asked Him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. When He had thus spoken, He spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and He anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay, and He said to him, go wash in the pool of Siloam. He went his way therefore, and washed, and came SEEING” (John 9: 1-3, 6-7). It is NOT the blindness that brings glory to God it is the healing!
“If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that gives to ALL men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavers is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways” James 1: 5-8). We cannot allow doubt and negativity to be mixed in with what we believe or it will cause us to miss out on God’s very best.
“Do NOT err, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning” (James 1:16-17). This clearly explains that sickness and poverty are NOT good gifts because good gifts come from God! How many would agree that good health and financial success are good gifts? Most of us do. How many have ever said, God bless you? What does this mean? When we see an older person get around good and have a strong mind, we are amazed and glad to see a miracle like this. We usually ask about their secret to abundant living because we think it is wonderful. When we become sick we want everyone we know to please pray so that we can be restored. If we really believed God wanted us sick, we would want anyone to pray against Him. When we have a financial need, we beg God to please help us but hardly consider that the one who “helps us” is someone who is wealthy enough and spiritually sensitive enough to obey God by giving to us. This is how God’s people should live. Healthy enough to do His work and wealthy enough to help others in need. How can we be a front line warrior in God’s Kingdom if we are sick and poor? Do we want to see our children blessed? In what ways? We want to see our children walk in divine health and be prosperous in order to live a wise and happy life. I cannot help but think this is exactly the kind of life God wants us to live.
“Father, speak to our heart and as we concentrate on You, please teach us Your truth. Give us wisdom and the revelation to know Your will. Open the eyes of our heart that we might see that we cannot out-give You. Teach us the principals of reaping and sowing. Give us compassion for the lost and the needy. May we do everything for Your glory, in Jesus Name we pray, amen.”